Using your car’s air conditioning is the main contributor to reduced fuel efficiency in hot weather. Be smart about running your car’s air conditioner.
- Open the windows to let out the excess heat when starting your car is more effective than trying to cool it down with AC.
- Turn the AC on after the cabin has been aired out; AC is more efficient when the vehicle is moving.
- Set the AC as high as you can while still staying at a comfortable temperature.
- Turn the AC off and roll down your windows in slow driving areas and while idling.
Additional tips –
- Be sure to read your owner’s manual for how your vehicles AC system operates and works its best.
- Park your vehicle in the shade or use a sunshade
- Use cruise control while driving on highways to maintain a consistent speed, which conserves fuel
- Make sure your tires are at recommended pressure
- Check that your AC system has coolant and your radiator has antifreeze
- Get a summer service check on your car
- Compare fuel prices for the best price
Now hit the road and see new sites this summer.