The sun is shining, the flowers are beginning to bloom, and the mop is waiting! Don’t go into shock—we know spring cleaning is probably not the most exciting thing to do in the spring, but it must be done. Organizing closets, shampooing carpets, and cleaning out the garage are all important, but we have a few key items you should add—they will make your Trusted Choice® Independent Insurance agent proud!
Use a template like this one on www.MarthaStewart.com and after you gather your ideas, tailor the list to fit your house needs. Stay motivated, but don’t beat yourself up- you may not be able to do everything in one weekend. Plan to take a couple of weekends within the next month to get everything done.
Dust mites BEWARE! The basic cleaning of closets, behind the refrigerator, and the switch to summer clothing are all important additions to your list. Here are a few other things you can add that will help to ensure your home is safe and maintains insurance compliance.
Top 5 Checklist – Indoor
- Check your water heater for leaks and corrosion
- Have your air-conditioning system inspected by a professional
- Clean or replace your furnace filter
- Ensure fire safety – make sure everyone in your house knows how to use the fire extinquisher. Check smoke alarms.
- Check for unwanted guests – pests may have been looking for a warm spot during the winter months.
It is easy to focus on the inside of your home during spring cleaning, but the outside of your home is just as important. Take time to evaluate the exterior of your home and check for any damage from the winter months. In addition to this, you can do the following:
Top 5 Checklist – Outdoor
- Check damage to your roof
- Clean gutters to keep debris from accumulating
- Clean cob webs from the corners of the exterior of your home
- Power wash the mildew, stains and/or dirt from teh siding on your house
- Lawn care – it matters! Remove soggy leaves and branches. Check for puddles and flooding.
Talk to Barr’s Insurance, www.barrsinsurance.com, your Trusted Choice Independent Insurance agent about other things you can look for and take heed to during your spring cleaning days. Finally, take a moment to dust off that homeowners or renters insurance policy. Trusted Choice Independent Insurance agents are here to accommodate you as your life changes—just like the seasons!