Vacation time should be relaxing, whether you are going on a weekend getaway or a week beach vacation or a month long cruise, the last thing you want to do is come back to a burglarized home.
Follow these simple steps to protect your home while you are away:
- Have a friend or neighbor check on your home periodically, and even take the trash out or cut the grass to make it look like someone is home.
- Keep the curtains the same
- Put a few lights on timers
- Stop mail or newspaper delivery, or have a neighbor collect it for you
- Disable your automatic garage door opener
- Keep your vacation plans off of social media
- Do not “Check-In” on Facebook
- Put the spare key away or take it with you
- If you have a security system, alert the alarm company that you will be away
- Consider hiring a House or Pet Sitter
And check with your Account Executive at Barr’s Insurance to make sure you have the correct coverage!