This year I made “stuffed” patty pans. There are many different recipes out on the internet to choose from, so I combined a few of them and came up with my own verison.
- 6 patty pan squash, stem and blossom removed (or 3 larger squash)
- 1 lb. sausage cooked and drained (any variety)
- 1 cup cooked rice (brown or white)
- 1 cup Italian breadcrumbs
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
- salt & pepper, to taste
- cream cheese (optional)***
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). – Although these are reallly good cook over the grill as well!
- Bring one inch of water to a boil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add squash, cover, and cook for 10 minutes, or until a fork can pierce the stem with little resistance.
- Drain, and slice off the top stem of the squash. Use a melon baller to carefully scoop out the centers of the squash. Reserve all of the bits of squash. (I used larger squash so discarded the seeds – warning the squash is very liquidy in the center so I drained it a bit after scooping.
- Mince the reserved squash.
- Combine remaining ingredients in a bowl with the minced squash, mixing well.
- Stuff each squash to overflowing with the mixture, and place them in a baking dish. Cover the dish loosely with aluminum foil.
- Bake until squash are heated through (approx 20-25 mintues).
***In the bottom of a couple of the squash, I dropped a spoonful or two of cream cheese before placing the mixture in.
There are many many ways to stuff squash, use your imagination and see what you come up with!!