If you are a parent of a child attending college or will be attending college in the fall, then you will need to complete a FASFA. FASFA is the Free Application for Federal Student Aid.
The FASFA is the place to start. Completing the FASFA will give you access to these types of aid:
- Grants and Scholarships
- Work-study programs
To complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FASFA), you will need:
- Your Social Secutiry Number or Alien Registration Number (if not a US Citizen)
- Your most recent federal income tax return, W-2’s or other records of money earned
- Bank statements or investment records (if applicable)
- Records of untaxed income (if applicable)
- A Federal Student Aid PNI to sign electronically
If you are a dependent child, then you will need the above information for both parent and child.
The FASFA is completed online at https://fafsa.ed.gov/ or you can download the form from there.