- Begin by checking the lifejacket, flares and first aid kit to keep you safe while onboard. Check to make sure the horn, running & anchor lights and searchlight all work properly.
- Inspect the fire extinguishers and have them serviced or replaced as well as the batteries in your smoke & CO detectors and EPIRB if you have one.
- Be certain the boats registration/documents are current and you have all required papers including our insurance policy with claims contact information.
- Inventory all equipment & outfitting on board and update during the season. It is a good idea to keep a list of all personal items stored on the boat in the event of a loss.
- Replace anything that is missing, damaged or out of date.
During your excursions, start making a “punch List” of maintenance items that will need attention before the end of the season.
This is just a sample of safety items to check. Be sure to know what the laws and regulations are in the state that you are operating your boat.
And check with your Barr’s Insurance account executive to make sure you have the correct coverage you need.
Visit https://www.barrsinsurance.com/personal-insurance/watercraft-insurance/ to learn more or to obtain a quote for your watercraft.